The Red Room (in French, Red Room) is one of the three living rooms on the first floor of the White House, home of the President of the United States. The room served as a lounge and music room, and the last presidents organized small dinners. It is traditionally decorated in shades of red.
The room measures approximately 8.4 m by 6.75. It has six doors, which open onto the Cross Hall, the Blue Room, the South Porch and the State Dining Room.
During the XIX century, the Red Room experienced many stylistic changes ranging from Empire style, Renaissance imitation, Rococo imitation and Aesthetic Movement. Furniture from previous administrations was often resold at auction to finance the purchase of new furniture.
Most of the furniture currently in the Red Room, though ancient, was acquired under the tenure of John Fitzgerald Kennedy or later. The Italian marble fireplace of 1919, with its Caryatid columns, is one of two ordered by President James Monroe and originally installed in the State Dining Room. Both fireplaces were moved to the Red Room and Green Room by McKim, Mead and White during Theodore Roosevelt's tenure. The clock of the chimney is a French clock of 1780 or 1785, and was offered to the American nation in 1954 by President Vincent Auriol after the reconstruction of the White House by Truman (1949-1952).